Ald. Thomas Lewis (1830-1922) was a native of Pentraeth, Anglesey and attended at Beaumaris Grammar School. At 13 he was apprentice to Meshach Roberts, Chemist, completing his studies in Dublin 4 years later. In 1850 Thomas returned to Bangor setting up business at 315 High Street.
He became deacon of the Horeb Welsh Methodist Chapel, and was a circuit steward for 50 years. He was elected to posts on the Burial Board, Board of Guardians, School Board and Local Health Board, becoming Chair in 1880 on the retirement of Lord Penrhyn, a post he held during the typhoid epidemic.
He was appointed Justice of the Peace, and Chairman of the Bangor Bench of Magistrates for many years. He was an active member of the Caernarfonshire Council and held the post of High Sheriff. He was made an honorary foreman of the borough in 1907 in recognition of his devotion to the community.
He lived in a property called Garthewen in Bangor, now part of the University Estate